Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Kick Boxing

A few semesters ago I signed up for a Self Defense course here at UW-Milwaukee. We learned punches, kicks, blocks and how to properly fall when shoved down. It was awesome. A semester went by and I missed it, so last semester I decided to go to the gym here at UWM and found a kick boxing class. I went there with an open mind (hoping that it would be similar to the self defense class) and it was a blast. At the beginning of the semester we learned basic punches and how to always keep our elbows in to protect our sides and to protect our head when we duck out of a punch. We slowly incorporated kicks into the work out such as round house kicks, side kicks and snap kicks (yes at times I felt like Chuck Norris). Soon the semester came to an end (one of the classes I was solo so the instructor, Arthur, gave me a private lesson that really kicked my ass). 
Today was the first day of kick boxing this semester and we had roughly 22 people in the class with a max of 20. Only three of us came back from last semester meaning 19 people were new. Usually we have about 8 or 10 people and Arthur makes us really sweat. Today, with 22, it was no different. The sweat was running down my forehead before long and muscles started to ache in that glorious pain that can only come from a good work out. Hopefully next class people decide not to come so Arthur can work us out even more, incorporating more kicks and more complex moves like we did back in December. 
Basically, I love kick boxing as a work out. Go out and find a work out that you love and can't wait for your next class. For me, I have 1 day 19 hours and 27 minutes until my next kick boxing class. 

No comments:

Post a Comment