Saturday, March 3, 2012

Co Workers

Everyone has that one co-worker that is a pain in the ass. Last night, I had to work with that person, lucky me. First, let me explain what I do. I'm a House Manager at school and basically what I do is tear tickets to theater and musical performances and help the patrons (people coming to see the show) with any problems and at times keep the directors calms, and open doors and what not. Typically things go smoothly and there are no crazy things that happen, every once in a while though, when you are least expecting it, shit blows up. Last night was one of those nights.
I was supposed to work with, let's call him Thomas. Thomas is great to work with: I can trust him to do whatever I ask of him and in a reasonable amount of time. Instead, I got to work with, let's call her Sarah (the pain in the ass). We are scheduled to get there an hour and a half before the show starts, so for this particular night, 6pm. I get there a little early (cause I'm German) and wait around for my partner. She didn't show up for ten minutes which is the grace period to be late so I call her and she finally answers. Apparently she was in the wrong building. She was on the main campus when we were supposed to work about a mile away in a different building still owned by the campus. She gets there at 6:30 and by this time (being opening night) things are already going crazy, and to top it all off, I'm still sick and could barely talk. When she did finally come, she was useless, less than useless really. She didn't help train the ushers, she didn't know anything about the play or who the director and Stage Manager were or anything. To top it all off, she is one of those people that talk really quietly so you have to say 'what' a hundred times just to hear what she says. 7pm comes around and we open the house to let people sit down and we are tearing tickets and everything (finally) is going smoothly (still losing the voice that I barely had). At 7:30 when we were supposed to start the show, the director decided to hold it for 10 minutes because of a snow/rain storm and the roads were slippery, so that's fine. At 7:35 we were supposed to make an announcement to have people move together so latecomers wouldn't have to crawl on top of people and possibly step on their toes. Normally I would and it would be fine but since I could barely talk as it was and my volume was barely there, I told Sarah to do it. She constantly said no and I finally told her she had to because I couldn't talk loud enough. I went downstairs to check to see if anyone else was coming up the walk while she was supposed to make the announcement, which I later learned that she made the director do (which he wasn't happy about because it isn't his job). 
The play started and it was hilarious. We laughed, we clapped and luckily Sarah sat outside of the hall to deal with late comers. After the show we fill out the report and talked with the Stage Manager to make sure everything went well and then we were free to go. We go downstairs to the office and sign out and I was finally free of her. 
I'm sure all of you have at least one co-worker that you can't stand no matter how nice you try to be to them. My advice to you, try not to be sick when you have to work with them, it will only make it that much more worse. 

No comments:

Post a Comment