Monday, March 12, 2012

On My Honor

On my honor, I will try:To serve God and my country,
To help people at all times,
And to live by the Girl Scout Law.



Today is the 100th Birthday of Girl Scouts. Back in 1912, Juliette Gordon Low started the first Girl Scout group in Savannah, Georgia with only 18 girls based off of the ideas put together by Lord Baden-Powell (who created the Boy Scouts) and his wife, Lady Olave Baden-Powell who founded Girl Guides in England. Girl Scouts became a national organization and was finally chartered by the U.S. Congress in 1950, 38 years and 4 days after originally founded. Today, the organization grew drastically from the first 18 to millions of Girl Scouts. 
The Girl Scout Cookie, what Girl Scouts is most known for is only a small part of Girl Scouts. There are patches and badges, all with different activities that range from horses to cars to electrics, not to mention cooking and camping. 
One can become a Girl Scout when one is 5, called a Daisy, and rise up through the levels finally coming to the adult stage where one can choose to be a life time Girl Scout Member like I am. I am thankful for Girl Scouts as without it, I would not be as confident, courageous and have the character that I have today. Girl Scouts truly helped make me become the strong, independent, leader-oriented woman that I am today.
I have meet some of my best friends (my sisterhood) through Girl Scouts and even though we are all different, we share a common bond and no matter how far we are from each other (literally as one is in Japan right now) we will always be close in heart. 
Since today is Girl Scout day, I will leave you with the motto: Be Prepared. If that means studying a little harder for that test coming up or just setting your mind so you have the confidence to do anything, be prepared.


I will do my best to be: Honest and Fair, Friendly and Helpful, Considerate and Caring, Courageous and Strong, and, Responsible for what I say and do, And to: respect myself and others, respect authority, use resources wisely, make the world a better place, and be a sister to every Girl Scout

No comments:

Post a Comment