Thursday, April 17, 2014

Meditating in a Sauna

I have a new love. Meditating in the sauna.

Let me explain. Today is my Opa's 87th birthday. He is still very active and does gardening, housework, goes for walks that are several miles long, doe tai chi, and goes to the gym, swims, and much more. He also loves saunas. He taught me the way of the sauna and has told me countless stories of him saunaing in Europe when he was younger where everyone (men and women) go into one sauna. Now that's not how most saunas in the U.S. are, but they are just as relaxing.

To honor his birthday today, I decided that I would sauna after my workout. I got in there and the heat was intense (as it should be). I sat down, looked at the clock, and then closed my eyes. With how busy life is for everyone with school, family, and work, and all of the stresses that go along with everything, it's good to relax, take some 'you time,' and be at one with yourself. 

So I decided to meditate in the sauna. 

15 minutes later I come out and have this happy feeling deep down, knowing that it's going to be a good day.

So I have some homework for you. I want you to sauna. You can go in with nothing on but your birthday suit and a smile (and please have a towel to sit on), with your swimsuit, or with some light clothes. Don't bring any electronics with you (saunas usually have a clock on the wall). Don't talk with anyone. Just sit there and meditate. Take time for yourself and you'll soon fall in love like I did. 

No comments:

Post a Comment