Thursday, December 13, 2012

That Moment

Yesterday I finished my first semester of grad school. I had one exam, two papers and a presentation all for two classes but overall it was a really good first semester. I stayed up late last night and slept in this morning until 9, it was wonderful. 

Now I figure with all this extra time on my hands not having to do homework (more like having said homework out while playing computer games or watching TV) I figured I could start editing my novel that I finished in November. I opened the first draft when my computer started and there it sits. Staring at me. Looking me up and down thinking that I am a joke. It's almost worse than having that blank page in front of you, thoughts in your head but no idea how to transform them into pictures that the reader creates, the blinker intimidating you, saying that -you- can't do it. That you don't dare put words to the page, ink on the paper, to show how stupid you could actually be. That was nothing. 

Since then I've forgotten about several of the points of the story. Some parts vanish like a dream after waking up. It has changed in my head how I preserve it. Now I have to go back and make those changes. The words that I hastily wrote down to reach that 50,000 word mark. Now it's time to see if I really have what it takes. To read my novel and go on it's journey into the deep words where I hope my flashlight battery won't die on me. It's time to edit...or take out the trash. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment