Saturday, December 7, 2013

Breaking Stereotypes

Thursday I went to the gym and invited my friend, Mike, to come workout with me if he wanted, not expecting to see him but to see some lame excuse via text so I plugged in my iPod and got to work. Well, normally at the gym I do around a half hour of weights (and I'm not talking 5 pound weights) and then either bike or row. On my last weight machine of the day, I got up to wipe it off and see Mike behind me. Apparently I look very intimidating when I workout and scared him slightly. We went upstairs where the track and other cardio equipment is and I start rowing and he ran around. At the end of our cardio, I ask him if he wanted to do any weights to which he declined. 
Well the stereotype that I am leading to is weight lifting and the gym. On any given day at the gym, the majority of the people in the weight room are guys. Today there were only 3 other girls besides myself (most lifting the 5 pound weights I mentioned earlier). Also, on any given day at the gym, girls usually outnumber guys on cardio equipment. So I'm here to tell you that it is ok for girls to lift weights and it's ok for guys to go for a run or something cardio along with weights. 

No comments:

Post a Comment