Monday, September 2, 2013

Simply Delicious Bread

So I'm kind of obsessed with bread. I love it.

I made my first loaf of bread with my Oma, while my Opa, the son of a baker, was working outside in the yard and in his garden. By the time the bread was finally in the oven, my Oma and I were covered in flour and smiles all around. I think this is part of the reason I love bread so much, because no matter what kind of bread I am making, I always think back to my Oma's kitchen, working around the island with her, playing cards and working on her puzzle while it rose and baked.

Today it's a bit chillier than the past few days so I decided to make some bread. Upon looking in the freezer for yeast, I discovered that I had none. No yeast. What was I going to do?! Well I turned to my Pinterest board full of bread recipes (http://pinterest.com/bauerno2/bread-recipes/) and found a Yeastless Chile Cheese Bread (http://www.azestybite.com/hatch-chile-cheese-bread/). The picture looked good so I decided why not give it a try. Only problem was that I didn't have all of the ingredients, so I adapted.
Here's what I did:

Ingredients:
3 cups flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
heaping 1/2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/3 cup buttermilk (which you can make using milk and lemon juice)
Whatever shredded cheese you have laying around the house. (The original recipe called for 1/2 cup colby jack shredded cheese, but I had cheddar)
Green chile peppers chopped (I used about 2 ounces from a can that I drained and rinsed)
2 Tbsp butter, melted

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375F.
Combine flour, baking powder, chili powder and salt. add the sugar and slowly stir in the butter milk. Add the cheese and green chile peppers. Spray a bread loaf pan with cooking spray and pour in the dough. Top with melted butter.
Cook for 45 minutes to an hour (if the pan is about a foot long, bake for 45 minutes, if it's shorter than that, bake for 50 minutes). The bread crust should be golden brown in color.


For lunch once the bread was out of the oven and cooling, my sister and I made soft boiled eggs and mashed up an avocado with some salt and pepper. We spread the avocado on the bread (which is hard to cut when warm but the smell was driving us nuts so we couldn't wait) and put the egg on top. It was delicious.
"Best bread I've ever had!" said my sister, Christina.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment